ELGIN crosswind street sweeper
The Elgin® Whirlwind® has revolutionized truck-mounted vacuum sweeping performance in the North American market with its exceptional features. Its proven low-maintenance design, combined with a wide sweeping path and short wheelbase, offers tremendous flexibility. You can choose between the single or dual nozzle and 28” (711 mm) or 36” (914 mm) side brooms, delivering a maximum sweep path of 12’ (3658 mm). You can also opt for a conventional or cab over chassis. Since 1969, Whirlwind street sweepers have been at the forefront of the market, boasting a unique extending nozzle and robust construction.
The sweeper mounts on conventional or cab-over chassis with short wheelbases, enabling a tight turning radius for better reach in cul-de-sac sweeping, and greater maneuverability around tight corners. The standard auto pickup in reverse allows for quick change of sweeping locations.
HIGH-PERFORMANCE SWEEPER ENGINE
The heavy-duty John Deere 4045T diesel engine provides exceptional power and extended service life. Auto shut-down of engine functions comes standard. The latest EPA Tier 4F and CARB emission compliant packages are now standard.
HIGHLY EFFICIENT AIR CONVEYANCE SYSTEM
Efficient air flow, including a superior vacuum source and air routing path, is at the heart of the Crosswind.
- High volume air flow at high velocity results in exceptional one-pass pickup while eliminating plugging that can occur in similar type sweepers.
- A nine-vane closed face turbine fan is powered by a turbo-charged diesel auxiliary engine for maximum airflow.
- A centrifugal dust separator minimizes pressure loss and maximizes sweep performance and fan life.
HIGH PRODUCTIVITY SWEEP SYSTEM
The sweep path picks up debris close to the curb and across a wide area.
- A 90 in. (2286 mm) wide pick-up head and dual hydraulically driven, 42 in. (1067 mm) side brooms provide a 12 ft. (3658 mm) wide sweep path.
- Work with brooms fully extended or add the optional full broom retract feature for powerful scrubbing action in front of the pick-up head.
- An optional center broom provides added digging power for compacted debris.
- A 12 ¾ in. (324 mm) diameter suction hose accepts large debris. Quick disconnect allows operator to inspect and clean hose and intake tube without raising hopper.
- The vacuum enhancer facilitates sweeping under light and bulky debris conditions.
SUPERIOR DUST SUPPRESSION
Proper use of water is essential for dust suppression, sweeping performance and longevity of sweeper components providing protection from abrasive materials. Two heavy-duty water pumps, one for the pick-up head and suction hose and one for the side brooms are easy to access and capable of run-dry operation. The durable 240 gallon (908 l) polyethylene water tank is removable for service. Ample water is provided by 16 high-quality , agricultural-grade water nozzles (standard) all in easy to access locations. High/low selectable pump speeds allow for application dependent dust suppression.
ECOINFUSED SHAREDPOWER TECHNOLOGY
The Crosswind’s patented shared power system is a Tier 4F compliant solution that delivers proven performance, increased fuel efficiency, reduced emissions and lower noise levels at engine-rated speeds.
- The system was developed to share chassis power when using a 74 hp auxiliary engine to ensure maintenance of outstanding sweep performance while providing a simple emission compliant solution that doesn’t involve complex, higher maintenance, and expensive exhaust after treatment devices.
- Typically the chassis engine is underutilized while sweeping. EcoInfused SharedPower technology taps into that unused potential and allows power to be hydraulically transferred to and shared with the auxiliary engine.
- Power can also come from regenerative braking. Using a transmission mounted PTO, energy normally lost to vehicle momentum while sweeping on downhill grades or coasting can be reclaimed and immediately applied back into the sweeper system.
HIGH CAPACITY/EFFICIENT LOADING
The 8 cu. yard capacity hopper provides extended sweeping time. Abrasion-resistant steel inlet deflector directs debris flow to the center of the hopper, ensuring even, efficient material loading for maximum capacity utilization. A traditional tilting hopper 50 degree dump angle and drop down hopper screens make the Crosswind easy to clean.
JDC coupled with our JDC Know-How, has the expertise when it comes to equipment maintenance, and performance. If you need a top-of-the-line vacuum cleaner we’re the ones you need to call. Our mission at the JDC is to get our customers outfitted with the right equipment for the task, and the Elgin Whirlwind vacuum sweeper is just that.